So, I’ve been writing my blog for just over four years now. When I started, I’m pretty sure that my Mom and Jeremy were the only people who read what I wrote. Over the years I’ve gained a few more readers and many sweet friends who have told me that they enjoy my posts and have found encouragement in my fairly open writing and that is a very cool and humbling thing to know. All that being said, I thought I’d take a little time tonight to write a few things that people who read my blog maybe should know.
1. I write because I want to remember. Life is flying by at a million miles an hour and if I don’t take time to document it all, I would really struggle with recalling all that I’ve been through.
2. I don’t think my life is perfect. If you’ve read my blog, It’s pretty apparent that I struggle, and often. But I do continue to write and share because I believe that beauty is found in honesty and that God can make our greatest weaknesses into great strengths. It’s a process and a journey and if I can encourage others through my writing, that is what I want to do.
3. Sometimes I post a lot, because a lot is always going on. My blog is almost always equal parts of our family, our church ministry and my photography business. It’s also a bit therapy and a bit stress relief, to just get it all out. Writing is often a postive way for me to express my feelings and deal with struggles.
4. I like when people like what I write. I also know that not everything will be relatable to everyone. Sometimes I wonder if I should be better or more organized or more funny or more compelling. But then I realize I can only do what I can do, and I mostly only want to do what God has for me.
5. I share a lot, but I don’t share everything. I’m learning that I want to be really sensitive, especially with my family and our kids as they are getting older. If I write about them, I ask them to make sure they are okay with it.
6. I enjoy reading other people’s blogs. I find great encouragement from them. I suppose it’s why I started my own.
7. Through it all, I want my blog to reflect simply me. I’m not the world’s greatest writer, I may not always make the best decisions, but at the end of the day, I put myself out there to encourage others. And I’ve also found such encouragement as well. The times that I write most openly, I often get messages from others filled with their similar experiences. And it always touches my heart. It’s hard not to feel alone doing life at times, but it’s so good to know that others have been there as well.
8. And finally. I really appreciate the people who are willing to take time to read what I write. When people tell me that they love to read my blog, it really warms my heart. I love having that connection and in a way that reaches out to friends and family all over the country.
So there you have it… A few honest thoughts on a very late Thrusday night. Thanks for stopping by and reading my random blog thoughts. And here’s a smiley face because even though I don’t think it’s blog kosher, it’s just how I want to end this post 🙂
2 thoughts on “Maybe you should know…”
I’m one of your fans. Keep it coming exactly the way it is. Your writings are authentically Laura and that is perfect!
Keep writing! I enjoy reading your blog because it shows a life completely different to mine. I live on an island in the Caribbean where most people have one or two children, and wives go to work everyday, as well as husbands. I one day want to have a big family with many children and I want to take care of them instead of a nanny. Your photography is also lovely. Remember to back up your photos!! They are precious.