This morning, I met up with my twice a month Moms Group and our topic of the morning was contentment. Because let’s be honest. It’s hard to be content sometimes. It’s easy to look around at what we don’t have, rather than seeing everything that is right in front of us. We wish we had that house, that car, those kids (You know, the kids that don’t fight, or don’t talk back… mostly kidding, haha), that job or that Mom’s Pinterest skills. We walk into our closets, or our kitchens, and nothing seems to be good enough. We face tough circumstances and wish someone else was standing there in our shoes, going through the trials and the hard days.
Well, the Bible says, that “Godliness, with contentment, is great gain.” And this morning, we talked about the idea of contentment. How it’s something that you can have in the good times and the tough times. How “great gain” in the world is not only in money, or possessions, or prestige. And it was such a great reminder for me, to be happy with the things that are right in front of me so that I can appreciate the many blessings that I have, instead of focusing on the things that I don’t have.
Over the years, I’ve learned that for myself, one way to focus my attention on being content, is by being grateful, and by listing the things that I am thankful for. So I thought I’d finish up this post with today’s list of things that I am thankful for:
1. My twice a month Tuesday morning Moms group. I seriously sit around our kitchen table, with these amazing women who are so encouraging and who give me such hope and joy for the day. Their ability to be transparent and encouraging is such a blessing.
2. Pete’s Bagels. Because they make the best bagels around.
3. Jeremy’s sister Kylene. She is coming tomorrow with her sweet baby girl so that we can spend the week with them. I’m thankful for Uncle Matt (pictured above with Ellee and a “twenty buck” that he drew for her) being willing to let his awesome wife and baby be away for the week because I know that’s a sacrifice but one that we are so thankful for.
4. Travertine tile. Because Jeremy and I have been watching “Flip or Flop” and the one woman is always talking about travertine tile and how it’s the best. And so when our bathroom started to fall apart and needed a new toilet and tile, you can only imagine my delight when Nathan Tuttle dropped off the boxes and they said, “travertine” on them. They and the new toilet are being installed as I type by an amazing friend from our church, Seth Penney. If you need any work done around your home, he is the absolute best.
5. Safe and sound. I got a text from Jeremy this morning saying that his flight had arrived safely, and I was incredibly relieved. It’s always a good thing to know that your husband is safe and sound.
6. And so much more. Really. I could write all day. Because in taking time to be thankful for the little things of my day, I’ve realized that there is so much more that I could write about. But for the sake of the photography session that needs to be edited and the laundry that needs to be done, I’ll stop here. Thanks so much for stopping by and here’s hoping that you can have a wonderful day filled with contentment and gratitude as well!