Like That Crazy Person


I’m a sweaty mess. I’m sitting here on the airplane, trying to squish my huge winter coat into a tiny and manageable poof on my lap, while discretely wiping away the sweat that is tricking down my brow. And in a moment of déjà vu, this is the second time this evening that this is all happening.

I’ll start at the beginning, which happened earlier this afternoon at 1:45pm, when my amazing husband picked me up. He took me to Speonk, paid for my ticket and kissed me goodbye on the platform of the train station (Gosh, I love that man). When I got on the train and sat down, I took a moment to breathe. Because up until that point, life has been non-stop.

I took a nap on the ride in. When I got off in Jamaica to catch the Airtrain, it was snowing, all soft and wintery. And I was feeling pretty good about life, right up until the moment when I checked in and was told if I wanted to make my plane, I’d better run.

(Somehow, I got my times mixed up and instead of arriving at the airport the suggested two hours early, I got there just as my plane was boarding. And I still had to get through security.  Sigh.)

I begged and pleaded with airport workers and random strangers, which didn’t get me very far, but far enough to race through the security lines. Belt (because I had to remove it) and bags in hand I sprinted through the airport. Like that crazy person that you see. And I was audibly giving myself both a lecture for messing up the times, and a pep talk to get myself to run faster all the while trying to hike up my belt-less pants. A well-meaning man on the escalator rooted me on with a nice, “Don’t worry, you can do it,” which actually was encouraging in the moment.

I made it to the gate just in time. And I sat on that plane, sweating, and trying to manage my winter coat, bag and carry-on. I breathed a prayer of thanksgiving. Because I don’t know what I would have done had I missed my flight.

And then I waited. For a good hour. Because our plane needed to de-ice and the there was a mechanical issue.  And then we were off.

But since we were late coming in, when I reached Charlotte for my connecting flight, I did it all over again. I ran like a crazy person, weaving in and out of other travelers.  I panicked and talked to myself.  And thankfully I made the flight with only minutes to spare.

I’m hungry. I had been planning on eating in Charlotte, but could only look longingly at the airport restaurants as I ran by.  So my dinner will be a few mints to eat, that a kind lady on my last flight gave me. But I can breathe again. And I think it will all be worthwhile. Because I’m flying home to see my sister Sarah, who will be having her fifth baby either tonight or tomorrow. And as crazy as it’s been, I’m so thankful for the opportunity to have a few days in Michigan, with my family and some pretty amazing people.

All in all?  It was an adventure.  And I’m glad it all worked out.

Published by


I love Jesus, my Youth Pastor Husband and our two beautiful children. I'm a professional photographer and I love people, especially kids. My best days include time with my family, Hot Yoga and a Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream cone.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s